DevNet was established in Guyana as a result of the Sustainable
Development Networking Programme initiative.
The objectives of DevNet are to :-
- provide efficient and cost effective access to the Internet for marginalised groups and in a development context;
- build high-quality solutions for the collation, dissemination, and exchange of information and knowledge between all sectors of Guyanese society
- design and implement innovative projects that bring new approaches to the use of ICTs for development
- implement initiatives which would cross subsidise the activities executed to achieve the other objectives.
Specific activities include :-
- ICT4D project areas: development of websites to promote content from local NGOs , for regional projects and development-related sites, managing the Guyana Development Gateway at
http://www.guyanagateway.org.gy, researching community access options, ICT training, surveys,
- use of IT within government ministries.,
- Web site development and hosting: DevNet provides these services on a commercial basis with certain concessions to local NGOs.
Hosting is provided using a dedicated Linux server at Rackspace.com.
- Technical support: currently DevNet provides technical support and help desk service to UNDP Guyana for their computer systems
and network (until September 2008)
- Domain name registration: DevNet runs the registry for org.gy, edu.gy and gov.gy domains.